Sri Lanka: New Evidence of Wartime Abuses – Human Right Watch Posted on October 2, 2023October 2, 2023 By Admin Government Inquiry Inadequate; UN Should Establish International Investigation May 20, 2010 A member of the LTTE apparently captured by the Sri Lankan Air Mobile Brigade. In subsequent photos (downloadable via links below), the man appears to be dead, raising concerns that he might have been executed in custody. © 2009 Private Related Materials: Q & A on Accountability for Violations of International Humanitarian Law in Sri Lanka Sri Lanka: Satellite Images, Witnesses Show Shelling Continues Sri Lanka: Repeated Shelling of Hospitals Evidence of War Crimes Other Material: Five photos taken on the front lines in early 2009 Yet another feckless commission is a grossly inadequate response to the numerous credible allegations of war crimes. Damning new evidence of abuses shows why the UN should not let Sri Lanka sweep these abuses under the carpet. Elaine Pearson, acting Asia director at Human Rights Watch (New York) – New evidence of wartime abuses by Sri Lankan government forces and the separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) during the armed conflict that ended one year ago demonstrates the need for an independent international investigation into violations of the laws of war, Human Rights Watch said today. Recently Human Rights Watch research gathered photographic evidence and accounts by witnesses of atrocities by both sides during the final months of fighting. On May 23, 2009, President Mahinda Rajapaksa promised United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon that the government would investigate allegations of laws-of-war violations. One year later, the government has still not undertaken any meaningful investigatory steps, Human Rights Watch said. Last week, the government created a Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission with a mandate to examine the failure of the 2002 ceasefire and the “sequence of events” thereafter. It is not empowered to investigate allegations of violations of the laws of war such as those documented by Human Rights Watch. “Yet another feckless commission is a grossly inadequate response to the numerous credible allegations of war crimes,” said Elaine Pearson, acting Asia director at Human Rights Watch. “Damning new evidence of abuses shows why the UN should not let Sri Lanka sweep these abuses under the carpet.” Human Rights Watch called on Secretary-General Ban to promptly establish an international investigation to examine allegations of wartime abuse by both sides to the conflict. New Evidence of Wartime Violations Human Rights Watch has examined more than 200 photos taken on the front lines in early 2009 by a soldier from the Sri Lankan Air Mobile Brigade. Among these are a series of five photos showing a man who appears to have been captured by the Sri Lankan army. An independent source identified the man by name and told Human Rights Watch that he was a long-term member of the LTTE’s political wing from Jaffna.More : http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2010/05/20/sri-lanka-new-evidence-wartime-abuses Source Uncategorized
War Crimes in Sri Lanka – A Report by International Crisis Group on 17th May 2010 Posted on September 27, 2023 The Sri Lankan security forces and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) repeatedly violated international humanitarian law during the last five months of their 30-year civil war. Although both sides committed atrocities throughout the many years of conflict, the scale and nature of violations particularly worsened from January 2009… Read More
OHCHR Investigation on Sri Lanka (OISL) Posted on September 27, 2023September 27, 2023 Terms of Reference Mandate and reporting obligations In its resolution A/HRC/25/1 adopted in March 2014 on “Promoting reconciliation, accountability and human rights in Sri Lanka”, the United Nations Human Rights Council requested the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights to “undertake a comprehensive investigation into alleged serious violations and abuses of human… Read More
யுத்தம் குறித்த அனைத்து ஆவணங்களையும் ஆராயவுள்ள ஜனாதிபதியின் நிபுணர் குழு தருஷ்மன் அறிக்கையும் உள்ளிட்ட Posted on September 27, 2023September 27, 2023 இலங்கை மனித உரிமை விவகாரம் குறித்த தருஷ்மன் குழுவின் அறிக்கை உள்ளிட்ட யுத்தம் தொடர்பான அனைத்து பொது ஆவணங்களையும் ஜனாதிபதி மஹிந்த ராஜபக்ஷவினால் நியமிக்கப்பட்டுள்ள சர்வதேச நிபுணர் குழு ஆராயவுள்ளதாக தெரிவிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது. முரண்பாடுகள் நிலவுகின்ற விடயங்கள் குறித்து அரசாங்கத்திடமும் இராணுவத்திடமும் விளக்கங்களை கோருவோம் எனவும் சர்வதேச நிபுணர் குழுவின் உறுப்பினர்கள் குறிப்பிட்டுள்ளனர். இலங்கையின் இறுதிக் கட்ட யுத்தம் தொடர்பாக ஐக்கிய நாடுகள் செயலாளர் நாயகம் பான் கீ மூனுக்கு… Read More